Part two of the gratitude dose for today--
I had to cancel. I felt awful- not just because of my body, but also because of my guilt. It was last minute. I'm the president for heaven's sake! My friend says, "how can we have a presidency meeting without the president." I tell her I don't (did I sound distraught?). Figure it out. I call the lady in charge (the president's president, if you will) and apologize.
"I'm not gonna make it," I confess. I can tell I sound perfectly normal. "I'm just..." I purse my lips togethor and try not to cry, "really not feeling well today." My voice cracked. A chink in my facade. I expect her to sound disappointed; maybe even doubtful.
She doesn't.
"Oh, okay," she sounds unaffected- still perky, just with a bit of sympathy. "I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better!" Holy cow- she really, really means it- not just in the typical convention of speech way, but in the sincere, genuine, and warm sense. Wow. I may just cry now. She continues, "Thank you so much for organizing it [the meeting]."
Thank you? I called to cancel on her, feeling incredibly guilty and like I'm letting everyone down. And she tells me thank you. She tells me that she appreciates my efforts.
That is so wonderful. She may not understand what's wrong with me- I haven't talked to her in much detail about any of it. Nonetheless, she says what I so need to hear (and often don't know I need so badly). She says it with feeling- I can't disbelieve her. She offers support-- "If you ever need to get out of the house..." I could go on about that, in itself! (I may just do so later.) She thanks me. And means it. Allowing me to feel like I didn't completely let everyone down. Knowing that she doesn't think that helps a lot.
That's how it's done. Understanding at its finest.
Thank you, to you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment